Happy New Year everyone! I don’t know about you but I feel a great sense of renewal at the beginning of each year. It’s a new chapter of this crazy, beautiful book called life, and it’s one that I’m sure we all want to make the best of. In years past, I’ve always thought about goals or resolutions for the year but rarely wrote them down (if ever). This year though, I made a list because I felt like there’s so much I want to do. My resolutions are:
- Wake up 1 hour earlier: I am not a morning person at all. I stay in bed as long as possible because once my munchkins are up, it’s go-go-go until bedtime. But after some thought about our schedules and my day, I realized that I can be so productive in just an hour every morning, before the craziness begins. Whether I use that time to workout, clean bathrooms, declutter a space, or just sit with my coffee while watching the news, it is an hour that I can add to my day to get more done (or spend some time taking care of ME).
- Stop procrastinating: Oh boy… I am a master procrastinator (Please tell me I’m not the only one!). Honestly, most of the stress in my life could probably be eliminated if I stopped putting things off and took action when I could. This also speaks to making time to do things when I can, which I wrote about in my last blog post.
- Get organized: (says the girl with the organizing blog :)) I know this is very broad and general, but it covers so many areas. Yes, I want my home to be more organized. But I also want to get more organized in terms of managing my time, meal planning, starting our day on the right foot (see Resolution #1). I plan on tackling these areas and more this year, and sharing that with all of you!
- Spend less time on social media: Has anyone else noticed how easy it is to lose 20 minutes (or an hour… or more) just scrolling through Instagram or Facebook? This became so obvious to me just a few nights ago when I was putting off cleaning the kitchen because I was “tired” but managed to stand in the living room for 20 minutes looking through Instagram. In that 20 minutes, I could have cleaned the kitchen and picked up the living room before going to bed. So I put my phone down, and did those things right then (See Resolution #2 – no more procrastinating!). I’m certainly not against social media, but I hope to find a more intentional time and place for it.
- Grow this wonderful community: This year, I want to cultivate this wonderful community that is Clutter Interrupted. I want to hear your stories, your struggles, and your successes as you work to simplify your lives. I want to be your cheerleader and your supporter when it comes to kids, spouses, work, house, anything and everything! I plan on sharing my journey with you all and can’t wait to hear from you.
After reflecting on these resolutions, I saw a theme. They are all action oriented. They spur me to do something that moves me closer to my goals and vision for my home and my life. Therefore, if I were to pick one little word for 2016, it would be “Do”. I want to do more, embrace life, and worry less about whether something is perfect or planned out before moving forward. I’m so excited to see what this year brings and I hope you’ll join me along the way! What is your “one little word” for 2016? And what are your goals or resolutions for the year?