Everyday for 31 days we will be posting a Top 10 List. It is part of the Nester’s Write 31 Days Challenge.
You can find links to all of our Top 10 Lists here.
Subscribe here (choose the email option) so you don’t miss any of them.
Want to know a secret? How about 10? No, they don’t involve Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, but they do help make housecleaning chores a little easier. Get all the juicy details from…
10. Vanilla extract in a warm oven makes your home smell like fresh baked cookies
I (Chelle) learned this secret from a Realtor when we were selling our first home. Pour a few teaspoons of vanilla extract in a oven proof dish OR what I like to do is make a little cup out of aluminum foil and add vanilla inside. Place the vanilla in a warm oven, maybe 250 degrees, and soon your home will smell like fresh baked cookies. If you use foil, just toss after use. Be sure to turn the oven off before vanilla is completely dried out. I like to do this after I cook fish!
9. Use the Magic Eraser on white appliances, handles and walls
I (Tracy) thought I needed to repaint my walls going down the basement steps but I just needed to wash them with the Magic Eraser! It was like night and day! Another great use is on white appliances. I use it on slightly uneven surfaces like the refrigerator and the handle of the oven. It makes them look like new! Read these (slightly humorous) answers to some Magic Eraser questions.
8. Clean glass shower doors with a baking soda paste
Mix baking soda and water into a thick paste and scrub the glass. Baking soda is a natural and safe abrasive. Rinse the door thoroughly with warm water. Repeat in spots if necessary. Dry with squeegee.
7. The Pampered Chef Stoneware Pan Scraper Tool isn’t just for cleaning stoneware
- Safely scrub non-stick bake ware, not just stoneware. Remove stuck-on scrambled eggs without getting your sponge full of egg pieces. (Hate it when that happens!)
- Remove (sometimes unidentified) sticky substances from wood floors
- Loosen sticky drips on counter tops
- Scrape food from a glass/ceramic cook top on range
- Remove annoying labels from the bottom of new plates, cups, etc.
- Remove the labels from new picture frame glass
Safely scrape away gunk and food with this inexpensive, little magic tool. Find a Pampered Chef Consultant in your area to purchase.
6. Clean windows with coffee filters
No streak. No lint. But no coffee.
5. Use plastic gloves to pick up dog poop
Put the glove on. Pick up the poop with the gloved hand and hold on to it. Pull the glove off inside out. Place in trash bag. Poop now in bag and not on fingers. I (Chelle) tend to have quite a few rubber gloves on hand (sorry, that was too easy). I have dog poop to pick up and I am a, “Self-Tanning Lotion Queen,” not because I have ever been a proctologist.
4. Leave a cleaning product near every sink for quick cleaning every day
Pretty self-explanatory. We learned this great tip from a mom who gets her kids involved in housecleaning every day. Listen to our interview with her here. She shared other fantastic, simple tips to help your daily routine run smoothly.
3. The Equalizer is a great pet stain and odor eliminator
I (Chelle) found The Equalizer through our local veterinarian. You will not find it in the superstores or most pet stores. Our family has two dogs and a cat so we rely on this product a lot! Blot stain and spray with The Equalizer to clean. Vacuum when dry. It removes the stains and it has a wonderfully clean, fresh scent. I have used it on furniture and carpet. (Use as directed and always test fabrics first.)
2. Use blue dawn dish soap for stain removal on clothing
You know those dark spots that show up on the front of a darker colored T-shirt? I (Tracy) see them a lot on the front of my boys navy or red t-shirts. I think they are oily stains like butter, grease or salad dressing. It almost looks like the shirt is still wet in those spots. I could never get them out until someone told me about blue Dawn dish soap. I keep a bottle in my laundry room and when I see a dark spot I put some, full-strength, right on the stain. Sometimes I will scrub it with the tip of another spray bottle or sometimes I don’t do anything. Then I throw it in the wash.
1. Stubborn Mildew on Shower Grout Solution
For stubborn mildew on shower grout – first scrub with brush and rinse with water. Then carefully fill a Clorox lid and pour onto a paper towel. Apply wet paper towel directly to the grout on wall or floor. Leave for a few hours. gently lift to check grout. Wet with more Clorox if mildew still exists or discard the paper towel if mildew is gone.
The shower grout solution is the only housecleaning secret we recommend you do in your birthday suit to prevent bleach stains on clothes. If you privately choose to try out any of the remaining list in the buff we don’t want to know. It’s obvious we can’t keep a secret.
You might enjoy our interview, The House That Cleans Itself with Mindy Starns Clark.
Please share your secret housecleaning tip in the comments below.