This week, during LOVE is in the Air month, we had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Bill and Binny Pearce. You can listen to the interview here.
Recently, Bill and Binny agreed to share at a Young Life marriage event. The topic for their presentation: 5 things that sustained their 50+ year marriage.
In preparation, they thought it would be fun to list their five things separately and then come together to see how they compared. When they put their lists together they were surprisingly similar.
Bill and Binny gave us permission to share these with you. It is their hope their list and the scripture included will be an encouragement to you today in your marriage.
Five Key Things That Sustained Us For 50 Years +
by Bill and Binny Pearce
- A personal commitment and relationship to Jesus Christ coupled with the sense that, together, we were joined as a team to serve Him. Psalm 34:3; Joshua 24:15
- A habitual Quiet Time done individually and together. (The Word [the Bible] is primary. Then we shared many other fine books together) Psalm 42:11
- The gift of freedom to each other, without competition, to become what we felt individually God was calling us to be. 2 Corinthians 5 and Ephesians 5
- A learned ability to talk together about the three areas that trip up couples more than any other: Money, Sex, and How to raise our kids. Proverbs 27:17
- A sense of humor and learning to play together. Proverbs 15:13, 17:22
What has sustained your marriage? What challenges do you face? We would love to hear from you.