Here is the beginning where I outlined Lisa’s steps and my plan. Here is my update from Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, and Week 5. Listen to the interview with photo organizing expert: Part 1 and Part 2.
I didn’t have any time during the week to work on my photos until Monday morning. This has been my consuming my time!
Monday morning I set my timer for one hour. My goal was to get 2006 finished – duplicates deleted and all the photos renamed.
Again, this is my routine for each year:
1. Put the year in the Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder.
While that program processed through the 3500 photos in 2006 I ran to do a couple things:
First, I made myself some Good Girl Moonshine. It is different but I’ve grown to really get a craving for it. Here’s the video of the two Australian sisters that make it. You have to watch the video. They are so cute. Here is the exact recipe.
I like Serene’s Wonder Woman Whiskey (this is not an alcoholic drink) version but not quite as strong as her. I use a small slice of fresh jalepeno (seeds cut out), 1 good chunk of fresh ginger (just noticed that they don’t cut the skin off of the ginger…hmmm, maybe I’ll try that), 4 doonks of Stevia and exactly 2 T (no more) of Apple Cider Vinegar. Blend in my blender. Strain through my metal strainer into my Bubba Keg filled with ice. Add water until full. Stir. Sip all day!
Then, I switched my laundry and got back to work.
Oh, one more thing…
My morning workout at 9Round was a KILLER arm workout. I used muscles that I didn’t know I had and both of my arms were completely dead. I could barely keep them on the mouse. But I tried to stay focused.
2. Delete duplicates.
I had a lot more duplicates than I thought. I had been on three family events with my sister that year. Her husband takes all of our (my moms, mine and my sisters) photos and gives them to us on a disk. So I think I had downloaded double copies of all of them. It takes so long to delete them all through the duplicate finder but when I tried to delete them in the folders I was never sure I was deleting the right ones. So click by click I went through them.
I finally finished deleting duplicates.
3. Go through each month. For each month this is what I do:
- Open first photo in preview.
- Go through photos one by one to:
– Rotate photo if needed.
– Delete blurry, dark, and dumb photos.
- Select photos and rename them.
– Start with larger events you know.
– Rename by answering the questions What? Where? When? For example, Easter in CO Springs or New Years Eve 2006 Putts & Hoths. If you do this the pictures are already searchable. Then you can add tags like specific people in the photos or a note (under Tags) like a funny story about that photo. Right now I am not taking time to add tags to most pictures. I just want to get them renamed.
– I usually have several random photos that I don’t know what to name. I use things like 4 kids (if all 4 are in it) or girls or boys (if just two of them), specific names, or fun if they are just being silly. This is where I could waste time. I never know what to name them or if I should group them all together or name them individually.
I worked well past my 1 hour timer and only got to June! I think I will allow for more time when I first start a year. The second half of the year shouldn’t take as long since the duplicates are already removed.
I have a question I’m hoping someone can answer…
Can you order your photos by time taken? I know they generally do that but is there a way to select a group of photos and choose how to order them?
For example: I have photos from three different cameras of the same event. I would like them to be merged into date/time taken order. Right now they are all in order for one camera, then the photos from the other camera, and then the other camera. They are all renamed WI Summer Vacation. Pictures from the hike we went on are scattered in three places in the group of WI Summer Vacation photos.
Hmmm…As I think through this I could select all the hike photos and tag them with hike and then at least I could search them and see them all at the same time.
But, if you know an answer to this please let me know.
That’s all for now. Starting November 1st I should have more time to work on these but I’m thrilled I have another 6 months completed.
Keep reading…Week 7 Update here.