Clutter-free gifts are the way to go. As a professional organizer, Tracy hears people share how they can’t get rid of specific things because…
- They received the item as a gift.
- The person who gave it might ask about it! (Do not be one of those people.)
- They are keeping it to regift it. (Be careful here. I am all for regifting but If you didn’t want it will someone else or will it become clutter for them, too?)
Why burden people with gifts that end up being clutter? Try to give clutter-free gifts! Listen to our show, Clutter-Free Christmas Gift Ideas, to hear more.
We have put together some resources and ideas, below, for clutter-free gifts.
Teacher Ideas (and other special people)
- You and your child write a personal letter to the teacher. Give her the original but first send a copy to the principle and the superintendent!! This idea is from 71 Fly Lady Reader Ideas @ Fly Lady.
- Chelle thought the list of creative gift ideas were lame but Tracy thought there were several that were cute and clutter free. Read them all here.
- Gift cards are the best! Give those special people in your life something that says relax over the break – a coffee or donut treat, gas cards, movie tickets, etc.
- My Sugar Free Teacher/Neighbor gifts (super simple and inexpensive and a free printable) @ Measured By The Heart.
Make personalized certificates that you can fill with with thoughtfulness and fun.
- Butler for a day (listen to the show to hear Chelle explain)
- Tracy’s daughter, Courtney, gave her a certificate that said foot massage with lotion, back rub and ‘do your hair’ X 5! Awesome!!
- Vacuum the car
- Let your spouse sleep-in. You get up and take care of the kids, animals and surprise late in the day with breakfast in bed.
Give a gift that will provide an experience or memory that will last forever.
- Concert tickets @ Stub Hub. Love their jingle: All I want for #TIXMAS is my two front seats.
- Hot air balloon ride
- Indoor sky diving
- Stock car ride along
- Massages or Mani/Pedis
- Sexy Stocking Stuffers for Your Husband @ To Love, Honor and Vacuum (Her most pinned post last year which includes some awesome, inexpensive ideas. We love Sheila!)
- A painting class for a group during the holidays @ Painting with a Twist.
Give them lessons for something they’ve been wanting to try.
- Flying lessons
- Scuba diving
- Bridge (Tracy’s favorite)
- Knitting club membership
- Fitness classes (be careful if giving this to a woman)
- Give the gift of a llama or a water buffalo, clean water or a healthy home @ Heifer International or @ World Vision
- Choose a charity that is meaningful and give a gift in their name…cancer survivor, eagle scout, Salvation Army, etc.
- Raking leaves
- Doing a chore for someone else
- Make dinner or cleaning up after a meal
- Tracy’s dad has taken up fly fishing and even making the fishing lures. Family members go in together to buy fishing lessons, trips and fly making supplies.
- Tennis balls or golf balls for the sports enthusiast.
- Lessons or a membership.
- Last year Tracy gave Bronzed Chicken Rub spice mix. Read about it here, get the recipe and use her free printable labels!
- Christmas Sundaes (directions, amazing photos and the cutest printables) @ Bloom Designs.
- There is always the mason jar mixes like this: 25 Mason Jar Recipes: Holiday Gifts in a Jar @ Freebie Finding Mom. Here is a cute Santa idea @ Polka Dot Chair. Plus one more mason jar link.
- Avery has free online design service that you can use to make amazing lables here and here.
- Memory Bags: My best friend and I (Tracy) used to put together gift bags of things we remembered that we did together. These were typically consumable items like an apple because when she had braces in high school I would bite off chunks of the apple and give them to her. (I know, gross, but I still do this for my kids. I am a very talented biter, I guess.) Or, a row of saltine crackers because we did the only-eat-saltine-cracker-diet for one day. Or, a pack of green Extra gum because it was our favorite.
- Memory Box: Have each family member write one special memory about the grandparent-they-won’t-get-to-see this Christmas on a 3×5 card. Send them all in a gift box. Include some Hershey Hugs and Kisses and a bottle of water with some homemade hot cocoa mix. That will provide some serious enjoyment…more than a new sweater or another frame.
More clutter-free gift ideas from around blog land…
- Clutter-Free Gift Ideas for Men, Women and more @ Fly Lady.
- Giving a Gift Without Giving Clutter: Gift Suggestions from an Organizing Expert @ Simply Organized LLC.
- Snowball Playdough Recipe and Free Printable Gift Tag @ Yellow Bliss Road.
- The Ultimate Clutter-Free Gift Guide @ Slow Your Home.
- 90 Clutter-Free Gift Ideas @ Home Your Way.
- Uncluttered Gifts @ 365 Less Things.
Money (including gift cards)
- Plain ‘ole money is always good
- eReader (Amazon gift cards)
- Music (iTunes or Google Play gift cards)
- Microsoft points for XBox
- Gas $$ (Quik Trip or Casey’s gift cards)
Please share your favorite clutter-free gift idea! Check out our Pinterest page where we pinned more fabulous ideas.