- A recent change in the way Shauna shops is saving her about $300 per month! She now goes to Costco only once a month and shops at Aldi for her other groceries.
- She freezes as much as she can after the trip to Costco so it will last the entire month: butter, cheese, bread, berries, spinach and other unprocessed foods.
- Spinach tips: Place a paper towel in your spinach container to preserve it longer. Leave in the fridge for about 3 days, or until it looks like it is going bad, and then freeze the rest. Place 1 1/2 – 2 cups into baggies for green smoothies.
- Shauna’s green smoothies: Add almond milk, protein powder, spinach and a mix of frozen berries to the blender. Blend. Enjoy!
Shauna tells her clients, “When you are prepared then you will succeed.“ (Notice the bagged sandwiches. Read about Shauna’s bagged sandwich tip here.)
- Cook Butterball or Jennie-O turkey burgers on Sunday in a skillet with a little olive oil. Store in the refrigerator. Pull one out for lunch and eat without a bun.
- Think big. When making spaghetti multiply the recipe times four and freeze the extras into freezer bags. Do the same for taco meat, shredded chicken and more.
- Shauna’s Shredded Chicken: Place 6 chicken breasts in a crock pot with 1 packet of taco seasoning, 2 cups of salsa, and 1 T lime juice. Double or triple the recipe and freeze part of it. Have this chicken on hand throughout the week for quick, go-to meals.
- Bake several sweet potatoes in one day. Pull one out and heat in the microwave. I (Tracy) like to load a sweet potato with seeds, avacado, carrots, purple cabbage and kale and top with a simple dressing like this for a full meal!
Feel free to share a simple food tip in the comments! What are your go-to meals?