I love paper. I love writing.
I love paper calendars and new planners. Fresh and clean. Such possibilities to keep a new one neat. I even started buying a new month-view planner every 6 months for this very reason.
I love looking at the whole month at one time. Running my hand across the paper to see what options I have available to schedule an appointment. I LOVE the whole month-view.
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and the cute, new planners (although quite in need of some tidying) were calling my name.
Cute covers. New colors.
Then I saw this awesome 5-subject notebook. I love the print and look at those tabs and the clear plastic cover! I wanted a reason to buy this notebook!
And these other patterns…
I noticed this ‘Driving Miss Paisley‘ collection of journals…haha.
Then I saw this sign…Keep calm, Tracy. I don’t NEED these things.
Back on subject…Here’s the thing with using a paper calendar.
- I had to carry it everywhere.
- If I didn’t look at it I didn’t know what was going on.
- It was messy. I would constantly be crossing off appointments and rescheduling things. Squishing all the things going on that day into one little square.
- I would try and use the daily part (in addition to the month view) but would often forget to turn to it and see something I had written.
- I was going to clients houses and would have to bring my 8.5 X 11 inch planner with me so we could schedule their appointments.
- I always worried that I would leave it somewhere. What would I do if this happened. As I get busier and busier (kids getting older, working more, volunteering) I have a hard time remembering what is happening in the afternoon let alone tomorrow or the next week. If I lost my calendar I would have no idea what clients I had scheduled or what events were planned in the evenings.
- No one had access to my calendar. I couldn’t share it with my husband or have someone check it if I was away.
I wanted to be able to move in to the digital age but had tried a few times to start a calendar online. I would transfer things in my calendar to the digital calendar and then get busy and not do it, finally forgetting about it. Sigh.
I resisted mainly because I loved to look at the whole month-view and see what was going on during the month.
One day I just decided.
I decided the only way I was going to do it was to THROW MY CALENDAR IN THE TRASH.
I took about an hour to type everything from my paper calendar into a new Google calendar. When I finished I just got up and threw my paper calendar in the trash.
I synced my iPhone to my new calendar and decided this was the day.
Oh well. So I won’t see a good view of the whole month. I’ll live. I was sure I could get used to it. I can’t see the month view on my phone but at my desk, on my computer, I can.
Actually, I have come to love the week-view the most and usually use that view on my computer.
The things I love the most about my digital calendar…
- I don’t have to carry it anywhere. But, it is with me everywhere (on my phone).
- I don’t have to look at it to know what is going on (although I do look at it often). Why? Because I use the reminder feature! I get a reminder one hour before every scheduled event in the form of a text. I get another reminder 10 minutes before the event. LOVE this feature!
- It is NEVER messy! I can edit events, change dates, add lots of details like location, directions and notes about the event and there are NO scribble or scratch marks!
- I can see the whole day. This whole day view on my phone is actually better than the month view I was used to because it creates a working outline of my day.
- I never forget it at client’s houses and can schedule their appointments in seconds.
- I can lose my phone and still have my calendar! It is in the cloud and backed up.
- I can make appointments on my computer and on my phone and they sync immediately! I never double book or need to transfer anything.
- I can share my calendar with anyone. I can even print it out and put in a central location so the whole family knows what it happening.
- I can color code appointments so I know who they are for. Each family member has their own color. Glancing at my calendar I can immediately tell who has an event that night.
- To add appointments (especially on my computer) I just cut and paste. For example, when I get an email containing my daughter’s soccer schedule I copy the game information (time, location, field number) and paste it into a new appointment. The day of the game I have everything we need.
It did take some getting used to. Adding an appointment takes a little longer than it used to but I am getting faster. Not seeing the month-view of my calendar wasn’t as bad as I thought. I just scroll through the week to see what I have.
Knowing that I didn’t have any other option, I was committed to make the switch, kept me on track as I got used to it.
It has been amazing. I will never go back! I LOVE that I don’t have to carry a calendar around, I always have it with me, it syncs immediately, it is backed up and I get reminders so I don’t forget a thing!
Either system, paper or digital, is fine if it is working for you. I am not telling YOU to switch. I’m just letting you know how I switched in case you are thinking about it or wanting to weigh the pros and cons of your current calendar.
So, what about you?
Do you still love your paper calendar?
Or, do you use a digital calendar? Which one? What is your favorite feature?